Thursday, February 18, 2010

Official Critical Friend Practice #1

So, I had my first official practice with Colter today at my house. Colter said he noticed an improvement in my ability to transition between chords, which is true, but I feel I can do much better. Then we discussed "Last Kiss", a song he'd taught me last time, and decided to leave it because I have a hard time singing that low and it sounds weird singing it an octave higher lol

He brought me several pieces of music including "Colours of the Wind", Creedance Cleerwater Revival's "Lookin' out My Back Door", and "Brown Eyed Girl" by Van Morrison. I will look at these eventually, but by goal for this week is to work on "The First Cut is the Deepest", record it and post.

Then Colter taught me the chords in "Colours of the Wind" that I did not know: Am, D7, Dm, and F - but a cheated version of F because it's really tough! However, after that there wasn't a whole lot he could "teach". I think this session has finally solidified in my mind that I need to practice several times a week in order to be good! I know this is really obvious, but I've been putting it off and hoping I can just be better, but that's not going to happen, and therefore things are going to change.

In exchange for a guitar lesson, I gave Colter a piano lesson. It was tough because I didn't really know what his goals were (ie; learning theory or learning by ear, etc.), but I don't think Colter knew what he wanted either. We tried "Home on the Range" by reading music but he seemed discouraged after a little while, so I let him choose out of a bunch of familiar tunes. He chose "Can You Feel the Love Tonight?" and I taught him half the song by ear. It was tough because I rarely plunk something out by ear, but he made a lot more progress in this fashion. It helped when I explained patterns in the piece, such as octaves and leaps by thirds. Although he enjoyed learning by ear, he vocalized a small want to learn music, so I wrote out the C Scale on treble and bass clef and taught him the acronyms "Every Good Boy Deserves Fudge" and FACE for learning note names. I will create some further exercises if he seems
interested again next time we practice.

So, I'm not only learning about guitar through this project, I'm also learning how to teach music/piano! Yay :)

No comments:

Post a Comment